You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.
Ursla Le Guin (1929-2018)
The Dispossessed, 1974
This Week in History:
September 28th - October 4th
Press the buttons to reveal the answers.
What the BBC ignored:
September 28 - 1928: Alexander Fleming notices a bacteria-killing mold growing in his laboratory, discovering what later became known as penicillin.
September 28 - 1971: The British Parliament passes the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971, banning the medicinal use of cannabis.
September 29 - 1957: The Kyshtym disaster is the third-worst nuclear accident ever recorded..
September 29 - 1991: The government of Jean-Bertrand Aristide, the first democratically elected government in Haiti, is toppled by a military coup.
September 30 - 1965: In Indonesia over 500,000 people are killed in an anti-left purge following the failure of the 30 September Movement's coup.
September 30 - 1999: The Tokaimura nuclear accident causes the deaths of two technicians in Japan's second-worst nuclear accident.
September 30 - 2016: Hurricane Matthew becomes a Category 5 hurricane, making it the strongest hurricane to form in the Caribbean Sea since 2007.
October 1 - 1960: Nigeria gains independence from the United Kingdom.
October 1 - 1989: Denmark introduces the world's first legal same-sex registered partnerships.
October 1 - 2009: The Supreme Court of the United Kingdom takes over the judicial functions of the House of Lords.
October 2 - 1967: Thurgood Marshall is sworn in as the first African-American justice of the United States Supreme Court.
October 2 - 1968: Mexican President Ordaz orders soldiers to suppress a demonstration of students, ten days before the Olympic games will start.
October 3 - 1952: The United Kingdom, demonstrating its willingness to use weapons of mass destruction, becomes the world's third nuclear power with Operation Hurricane.
October 4 - 1985: The Free Software Foundation is founded in Massachusetts, United States.
October 4 - 1985: WikiLeaks is launched by Julian Assange.
Would you have swapped any of the events above for any of the events chosen by the BBC? The report fails to mention that Sharon's visit to the Al-Aqsa mosque prompted the second Intifada, calling it simply, trouble,
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Be A Monster!
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Dice Stack
- Fast Food Tag
- Find My Number
- Find The Penny
- The Happy Game
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Passport Control
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- What Cards
- Which One?
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Wake Up
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- The 75th Anniversay of the bombing of Hiroshima
- The 75th Anniversay of the bombing of Nagasaki
- Cars in Japan
- Coronavirus Olympics
- Forest Bathing
- Japan and the Summit
- Japan and World War Two
- Multiculural Japan?
- Olympics Two Tokyos
- Plastic in Japan
- Return to Fukushima
- The Anniversary too Important to Cancel
- Typhoon Jebi
- Yayoi Kusama's Infinity
- This Week In History
- January, February, March
- April, May, June
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- July, August, September
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 2- 6
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4
- October, November, December