True peace is not merely the absence of tension: it is the presence of justice.
Martin Luther King (1957-1968)
response during the Montgomery Bus Boycott, 1955
Players divide into pairs. Give one pair a single counter. The player with the counter hides it in one hand, offers out both hands and says, "Which one?" Their partner chooses a hand, and says, "This one!" The first player opens the hand chosen and hands over the counter if the guess is correct. Play to a time limit or until everyone has had a chance at asking and guessing.
- Give everyone a counter. Now players move around the room taking turns at offering and guessing. A player with more than one counter can decide whether to hold them all in one hand and risk losing them all or split them between hands and keep at least one.
- With very young children give each of them a money box or cup. An adult can take a coin in each hand so that with every choice the child gets a counter. The child can slot the counter into the money box or drop into into a cup. This can be useful for practising colours as the adult can show both counters and name the colour the child chooses.
The easy way to introduce this activity is to work with a partner. If no partner is available then either practised the dialogue with a chant before modelling it with one child or get the children to first choose by pointing to a hand. As each child points, say "This one". Then, once this pattern is established hold back and don't open a hand until the child says "This one!" while pointing or repeats after you and points. The pointing is important as the language makes no sense unless a clear choice is indicated. Avoid opening your hand if the child's pointing and speaking isn't synchronised.
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Be A Monster!
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Dice Stack
- Fast Food Tag
- Find My Number
- Find The Penny
- The Happy Game
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Passport Control
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- What Cards
- Which One?
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Wake Up
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- The 75th Anniversay of the bombing of Hiroshima
- The 75th Anniversay of the bombing of Nagasaki
- Cars in Japan
- Coronavirus Olympics
- Forest Bathing
- Japan and the Summit
- Japan and World War Two
- Multiculural Japan?
- Olympics Two Tokyos
- Plastic in Japan
- Return to Fukushima
- The Anniversary too Important to Cancel
- Typhoon Jebi
- Yayoi Kusama's Infinity
- This Week In History
- January, February, March
- April, May, June
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- July, August, September
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 2- 6
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4
- October, November, December