Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one.
Ursla Le Guin (1929-2018)
The Left Hand of Darkness, 1969
This is simply a way of practising questions like:
- What is he?
- What is she?
- What is it?
- What are they?
Each pair needs a set of cards. The cards are shuffled and placed picture side down so that the symbols are face up. The first player chooses a card, points at it and asks the matching question. Their partner turns over the card and answers according to the picture. If the player doesn't know the answer they can ask other players or the teacher or simply say, "I don't know?" How many cards can the players do in one minute? After a minute switch roles.
- Rather than asking "What be" questions players can ask straight "Be" questions (eg "Is she a magician"). Their partner looks at the card and only reveals it when the answer is "Yes". Otherwise the partner keeps guessing. How many cards can the players get in a minute?
- Players start with the cards face up. The first player makes this/these sentences, eg "This is a witch". Their partner rephrases the sentence using the correct pronoun "She is a witch") and then flips the card over. How many cards can the players go through in a minute?
When first introducing these cards I usually leave out "they" and focus on he, she and it. I often use these cards as a filler, for example something to do while completing Passport Control
When players are doing something involving repetition as opposed to asking and answering questions decide whether they will just pass each statement down the line or repeat and then pass.
getfile: What CardsPDF: A4, 2 pages), 862kb
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Be A Monster!
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Dice Stack
- Fast Food Tag
- Find My Number
- Find The Penny
- The Happy Game
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Passport Control
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- What Cards
- Which One?
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Wake Up
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- The 75th Anniversay of the bombing of Hiroshima
- The 75th Anniversay of the bombing of Nagasaki
- Cars in Japan
- Coronavirus Olympics
- Forest Bathing
- Japan and the Summit
- Japan and World War Two
- Multiculural Japan?
- Olympics Two Tokyos
- Plastic in Japan
- Return to Fukushima
- The Anniversary too Important to Cancel
- Typhoon Jebi
- Yayoi Kusama's Infinity
- This Week In History
- January, February, March
- April, May, June
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- July, August, September
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 2- 6
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4
- October, November, December