Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.
Hermann Goering (1893-1946)
said to Gustav Gilbert at the Nuremburg Trials
Flooding in Japan
This is a short clip from Newsday focusing on the 2018 flooding in Japan. It is slowed down by around 15%. The pack contains the video and a PDF featuring three versions of the transcript (straight version, word-matching version, and fill in the gaps).
And actually I just want to bring you up to date on another story which is the situation in Japan where millions of people have been told to leave their homes because of extensive flooding and landslides that have already claimed more than eighty lives. Record rainfall has caused rivers to burst their banks in Hiroshima and other areas. Many people remain trapped by the flood waters as Caroline Hawley reports.
More than 50,000 rescuers are now involved in what the authorities are calling a race against time. These hospital patients were saved by the Japanese militiary. This is where they were rescued from. The only escape was either by helicopter from the rooftop or by boat. And here you see why. Some people are reported to be still stranded in the hospital and they're not alone. A swathe of western Japan has beeen hitted by unprecidented rainfall that's caused flash flooding and landslides. Many people died because they weren't able to flee in time, among them an eighty year old couple and a three year old girl. And the death toll will certainly rise.
"I went to my father's home but it was hopeless. We were looking for two people and only found one."
Several million people have been told to move to safer ground if they can. Those trapped in their homes have been advised to move to higher floors. Some are already as high as they can go, and have tweeted desperate calls for help.
"Even now we've not been able to confirm the safety of quite a lot of people and there are many who are stranded facing the terror of impending inundation and waiting for rescue."
Nature has delivered this part of Japan a devastating blow and it's not finished yet. More rain is forecast and with it, officials say. is a serious risk of more landslides. Caroline Hawley, BBC News.
getfile: Floods in in JapanZIP: Video and PDF, 92 mb
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Be A Monster!
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Dice Stack
- Fast Food Tag
- Find My Number
- Find The Penny
- The Happy Game
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Passport Control
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- What Cards
- Which One?
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Wake Up
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- The 75th Anniversay of the bombing of Hiroshima
- The 75th Anniversay of the bombing of Nagasaki
- Cars in Japan
- Coronavirus Olympics
- Forest Bathing
- Japan and the Summit
- Japan and World War Two
- Multiculural Japan?
- Olympics Two Tokyos
- Plastic in Japan
- Return to Fukushima
- The Anniversary too Important to Cancel
- Typhoon Jebi
- Yayoi Kusama's Infinity
- This Week In History
- January, February, March
- April, May, June
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- July, August, September
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 2- 6
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4
- October, November, December