The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty: not knowing what comes next.
Ursla Le Guin (1929-2018)
The Left Hand of Darkness, 1969
Recorded: August 14th, 2020
Now hundreds of traps are being set in the US state of Washington aiming to catch a potentially deadly intruder. A giant insect, known as the murder hornet has been seen in the area. Usually native to Asia, the hornet is a potential danger to local insects, and on occasion, humans. The BBC's Tim Ullman reports:
Jenni Cena is a woman on a mission. She works with the local Department of Agriculture and she's on the hunt for a giant insect that they call the murder hornet.
We do have a reproducing population. The removal of the nest is critical, cause, one, if it's successful and does [inaudible] can produce more queens that could create more nests the following year.
It's real name is the Asian giant hornet and it's known for its orange markings and its sheer size, reaching around five centimetres in length. Their sting can be fatal to humans. In Japan they kill around 30 to 50 people each year. But the real threat is to honey bees. Living up to its gruesome name the murder hornet will bite off the heads of the bees and devour the contents of their hives.
And, so if we have a chance of, erm, keeping it out of North America we have to do everything we can.
It's a group effort. People putting up traps and trying to kill off the murder hornets. The fear is, if they're not eliminated in the next couple of years, they could spread across much of North America. Tim Ullman, BBC news.
As climate changes accelerates struggles with invasive species are only likely to become more numerous.
if you work out what Jenni Cena is saying please let me know.
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Be A Monster!
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Dice Stack
- Fast Food Tag
- Find My Number
- Find The Penny
- The Happy Game
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Passport Control
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- What Cards
- Which One?
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Wake Up
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- The 75th Anniversay of the bombing of Hiroshima
- The 75th Anniversay of the bombing of Nagasaki
- Cars in Japan
- Coronavirus Olympics
- Forest Bathing
- Japan and the Summit
- Japan and World War Two
- Multiculural Japan?
- Olympics Two Tokyos
- Plastic in Japan
- Return to Fukushima
- The Anniversary too Important to Cancel
- Typhoon Jebi
- Yayoi Kusama's Infinity
- This Week In History
- January, February, March
- April, May, June
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- July, August, September
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 2- 6
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4
- October, November, December