Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten.
B. F. Skinner (1904-1990)
New Scientist, May 21, 1964
Add More More
AIM: The activity has two parts. In the first part numbers are written onto the board. In the second they are erased. The aim is to clear the board completely within a 90 second time limit.
Method: Write a single digit number on the board, elicit an answer. Eg you write 1 the group calls out "one". Next enlarge the number by writing the same digit again, so 1 becomes an 11. The group calls call out "eleven". Keep going until the group start to struggle. At this point start again with a new digit somewhere else on the board. Keep going for a couple of minutes. Then put down the marker and pick up a board eraser. Tell the group they will take turns calling out numbers for you to erase. Tell them they have 90 seconds to try and clear the board. Point at one group member get them to say a number and start the timer.
If any number is said correctly erase it but if a different number is called out write it on the board. To choose the next person to say a number take the last digit and count around the group by that number.
ALTERNATIVE: Rather than allowing group members to call out any number point at the number you want the next player to say.
ALTERNATIVE:Of course the game time limit can be varied. Less experienced learners will need more time. Also when making numbers at the beginning it may be necessary to introduce the words hundred, thousand and million.
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Be A Monster!
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Dice Stack
- Fast Food Tag
- Find My Number
- Find The Penny
- The Happy Game
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Passport Control
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- What Cards
- Which One?
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Wake Up
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- The 75th Anniversay of the bombing of Hiroshima
- The 75th Anniversay of the bombing of Nagasaki
- Cars in Japan
- Coronavirus Olympics
- Forest Bathing
- Japan and the Summit
- Japan and World War Two
- Multiculural Japan?
- Olympics Two Tokyos
- Plastic in Japan
- Return to Fukushima
- The Anniversary too Important to Cancel
- Typhoon Jebi
- Yayoi Kusama's Infinity
- This Week In History
- January, February, March
- April, May, June
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- July, August, September
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 2- 6
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4
- October, November, December