If we are not careful, our colleges will produce a group of close-minded, unscientific, illogical propagandists, consumed with immoral acts. Be careful, brethren! Be careful, teachers!
Martin Luther King (1957-1968)
The Maroon (Morehouse College Student Paper), 1947
Recorded: September 5th, 2018
Write the following numbers randomly on the board leaving the bottom third of the board blank:
¼, 25, 135, 150, 200, 3,000, 1,000,000 and 2018
Tell the students they will see a video and that they need to find out what the numbers refer to. After watching the video go through the numbers one at a time and if any student can identify the number either circle it or erase it from the board. If there are any numbers left watch the video again. If the students can't identify any of the numbers or are struggling then write up a keyword for each of the numbers randomly using the bottom third of the board. Suggested keywords are in bold. Answers are as follows:
the strongest typhoon to hit Japan in 25 years
winds reaching speeds of 135 miles per hour
150 people injured by the typhoon
severe flooding killed more than 200 people
3,000 passengers stranded at Kansai airport because of a damaged bridge
1,000,000 people told to leave their homes
2018: the year of the typhoon
Slowed by 15% and reframed to cut out a headlines tickertape running across the bottom of the screen this video lasts just over 2 minutes. Words to focus on: battered, caught-out, torrent, widespread, abroad, achieved, severe flooding. The use of achieved is somewhat inappropriate. It is worth pointing out that achieve is usually used in a positive context so a more appropriate word might be suffered.
getfiles: Typhoon JebiMP4 (Full HD Video), 75.21 mb
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Be A Monster!
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Dice Stack
- Fast Food Tag
- Find My Number
- Find The Penny
- The Happy Game
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Passport Control
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- What Cards
- Which One?
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Wake Up
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- The 75th Anniversay of the bombing of Hiroshima
- The 75th Anniversay of the bombing of Nagasaki
- Cars in Japan
- Coronavirus Olympics
- Forest Bathing
- Japan and the Summit
- Japan and World War Two
- Multiculural Japan?
- Olympics Two Tokyos
- Plastic in Japan
- Return to Fukushima
- The Anniversary too Important to Cancel
- Typhoon Jebi
- Yayoi Kusama's Infinity
- This Week In History
- January, February, March
- April, May, June
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- July, August, September
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 2- 6
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4
- October, November, December