Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on Brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights? ...If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people they wouldn't have to draft me, I'd join tomorrow. I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So I'll go to jail, so what? We've been in jail for 400 years.
Muhammed Ali (1942-2016)
World Environment Day Worksheet
World Environment Day takes place every year on June 5th. Every year a country gets to choose the theme. The theme for 2019, "Air Pollution" was chosen by China. How China got to host the theme for the 30th anniversary year of the Tiananmen Square massacre is anybody's guess.
The front side of the sheet focuses on the Earth Anthem poem written by Indian poet-diplomat, Abhay K. Read the poem to the class and then have them work in pairs or small groups to fill in the blanks before going over the answers with the whole class.
There's a choice for the back of the sheet so watch those printer settings! One choice is to include the full table featuring the themes from 1999 to 2019. Pairs can practise with this by taking terms calling out a theme or a host and the partner tries to supply the matching information as fast a possible. For example;
A: "Forest - Nature at Your Service!"
B: 2011, New Delhi, India"
B: Beirut, Lebanon!
A: Water – Two Billion People are Dying for It!
Alternatively, use the A/B sheets and partners can complete the table by asking each other questions.
getfile: World Environment DayPDF File B5, 4 pages (4.09 mb)
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Be A Monster!
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Dice Stack
- Fast Food Tag
- Find My Number
- Find The Penny
- The Happy Game
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Passport Control
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- What Cards
- Which One?
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Wake Up
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- 2019 Spelling Bee
- Cars in Japan
- Ed makes History
- Forest Bathing
- Japan and the Summit
- Plastic in Japan
- Return to Fukushima
- This Week in History: March 21-26
- This Week in History: March 28 - April 2
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4
- Typhoon Jebi
- Yayoi Kusama's Infinity