Animals have these advantages over man: they never hear the clock strike, they die without any idea of death, they have no theologians to instruct them, their last moments are not disturbed by unwelcome and unpleasant ceremonies, their funerals cost them nothing, and no one starts lawsuits over their wills.
During Golden Week
This has ten statements loosely connected to Golden Week. It was designed for classes of 8 or more but can be adapted to work with smaller numbers.
First of all the students should convert the sentences into questions. I've found that this encourages deeper learning than just presenting questions directly. Then the students circulate around the room asking each other the questions. When someone answers yes the student returns to the table and writes down the name of the answering student. The aim is to find as many different names as possible within a time limit. I like to use a short piece of music.
It's important to establish the rule that students leave their papers and pencils at the table while name gathering. This is not a survey! Some students may want to read questions to each other from the sheet. Better to encourage them to remember one quesion at a time and go around the room asking the same question over and over.
When time is up the teacher can ask about the results. Start by asking if anyone got four or more names and go up from there.
For groups of less than six rather than having the students mingle freely it is better to have them form pairs and then change partners every minute. When a partner gives an affirmative answer to a question the questioner should press for details by asking follow up questions. When time is finally up the group can reform and take turns summarising what they know about what the others have done.
getfile: During Golden WeekB5 Size, 1 page (55 kb)
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Fast Food Tag
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- Forest Bathing
- Japan and the Summit
- Plastic in Japan
- This Week in History: March 21-26
- This Week in History: March 28 - April 2
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4
- Typhoon Jebi