This business of burning human beings with napalm, of filling our nation's homes with orphans and widows, of injecting poisonous drugs of hate into the veins of peoples normally humane, of sending men home from dark and bloody battlefields physically handicapped and psychologically deranged, cannot be reconciled with wisdom, justice, and love.
Martin Luther King (1957-1968)
Beyond Vietnam - A Time to Break Silence, 1967
Players get into pairs. Partners face each other several paces or more apart. One partner has a ball. The game leader announces the target verb pattern, eg "drink, drank drunk". The player with the ball throws it so that their partner can repeat the pattern before catching the ball. Play then reverses with the second partner throwing the ball so that the first can say the target and then catch the ball. Success occurs when both can say the target and catch the ball. Repeat with further targets until a time limit is reached.
It can sometimes be hard for baseball players to avoid throwing hard and flat. In such cases stress the idea of a team effort and enforce the rule that success requires the catcher to say the whole target before catching the ball, not while or after.
- I often use flashcards. Depending upon the group I will just say the pattern or give and give hints so that the players can work out the conjugation for themselves. Flashcards provide an easy way to tally a total.
- An alternative to one ball per pair is to have one ball per group of 4-8. Teams split into two and face each other in two lines.. After throwing a ball the player runs to the back of the line. Success requires the whole team to throw, say the target and catch without any drops.
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Be A Monster!
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Dice Stack
- Fast Food Tag
- Find My Number
- Find The Penny
- The Happy Game
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Passport Control
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- What Cards
- Which One?
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Wake Up
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- 2019 Spelling Bee
- Cars in Japan
- Ed makes History
- Forest Bathing
- Japan and the Summit
- Plastic in Japan
- Return to Fukushima
- This Week in History: March 21-26
- This Week in History: March 28 - April 2
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4
- Typhoon Jebi
- Yayoi Kusama's Infinity