Capitalism's grow-or-die imperative stands radically at odds with ecology's imperative of interdependence and limit. The two imperatives can no longer coexist with each other; nor can any society founded on the myth that they can be reconciled hope to survive. Either we will establish an ecological society or society will go under for everyone, irrespective of his or her status.
Ursla Le Guin (1929-2018)
On the Future of the Left, Motherboard, February 4, 2015)
This is probably my favourite proprietary toy for learning English. I know it as itai wani since I first came across it in Japan. It is often referred to as Crocodile Dentist elsewhere,
The toy works by pushing the crocodile's teeth. Press the wrong one and he bites. My crocodile is over ten years old and tends to bite unexpectedly. Whoever has the crocodile asks the other players who is going to push a tooth. The basic version is to ask "You or Me?" This allows the players to gang up to force the crocodile-holder (usually the teacher) to push all the teeth.
Before using the crocodile I usually review pronouns using You You Me.
Apart from introducing other pronouns other choices include asking whose turn, which tooth and how many teeth.
With large classes (I've done this withover 70 children) use a timer and have everyone standing up. After their turn a player sits down. Can all the children get seated before the timer goes? Alternatively move around the class at random.
Be wary that some children, especially young ones can be scared of the crocodile. No-one should be forced to push a tooth. Children should be allowed to pass by using an appropriate phrase, "No thank you" or "Neither" (in response to "You or me?") are reasonable.
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Be A Monster!
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Dice Stack
- Fast Food Tag
- Find My Number
- Find The Penny
- The Happy Game
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Passport Control
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- What Cards
- Which One?
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Wake Up
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- This Week In History
- This Week in History: March 21-26
- This Week in History: March 28 - April 2
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4