A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.
Martin Luther King (1957-1968)
Beyond Vietnam - A Time to Break Silence, 1967
This is an extension of snake.
Draw a big centipede on the board. Divide its body into 15-25 segments. The more segments the longer the game. Make sure that the centipede has a large, circular head.
Whereas the original snake game focuses on few flashcards this game typically uses a whole set, that is between 32-48 cards. Players should be familiar with the snake game before playing this one.
Take the mover and put it in the final tail segment. Set the time for twenty seconds and start it. Go through the cards as quickly as possible. Make a pile of cards the players know and another of the ones that they don't know.
For every card named correctly move the mover one segment out of the centipede. For every card missed draw a tooth in the centipede's mouth. Put the cards named correctly to one side. Named the missed cards for the players and shuffle them back into the deck.
Before starting the next round have one of the players role the dice. Move the mover back that number of spaces.
If the players go through the pack then shuffle all the cards and start again. Often the players may end up with just two or three cards to get before the pack is finished. In such cases the round may end early but nevertheless still role the backwards dice as normal.
The game is won if the players are able to get out through the centipedes mouth before it is full of teeth.
This game can be tough to win. Incidentally, the reason it is called centipede is that I was using a centipede as an alternative to a snake when the game idea was first tried.
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Be A Monster!
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Dice Stack
- Fast Food Tag
- Find My Number
- Find The Penny
- The Happy Game
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Passport Control
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- What Cards
- Which One?
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Wake Up
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- This Week In History
- January, February, March
- April, May, June
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- July, August, September
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 2- 6
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4
- October, November, December