I do not agree that the dog in a manger has the final right to the manger even though he may have lain there for a very long time. I do not admit that right. I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place.
Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
To the Peel Commission, 1937
Flooding in Japan
This is a short clip from Newsday focusing on flooding in Japan. It is slowed down by around 15%. The pack contains the video and a PDF featuring three versions of the transcript (straight version, word-matching version, and fill in the gaps).
And actually I just want to bring you up to date on another story which is the situation in Japan where millions of people have been told to leave their homes because of extensive flooding and landslides that have already claimed more than eighty lives. Record rainfall has caused rivers to burst their banks in Hiroshima and other areas. Many people remain trapped by the flood waters as Caroline Hawley reports.
More than 50,000 rescuers are now involved in what the authorities are calling a race against time. These hospital patients were saved by the Japanese militiary. This is where they were rescued from. The only escape was either by helicopter from the rooftop or by boat. And here you see why. Some people are reported to be still stranded in the hospital and they're not alone. A swathe of western Japan has beeen hitted by unprecidented rainfall that's caused flash flooding and landslides. Many people died because they weren't able to flee in time, among them an eighty year old couple and a three year old girl. And the death toll will certainly rise.
"I went to my father's home but it was hopeless. We were looking for two people and only found one."
Several million people have been told to move to safer ground if they can. Those trapped in their homes have been advised to move to higher floors. Some are already as high as they can go, and have tweeted desperate calls for help.
"Even now we've not been able to confirm the safety of quite a lot of people and there are many who are stranded facing the terror of impending inundation and waiting for rescue."
Nature has delivered this part of Japan a devastating blow and it's not finished yet. More rain is forecast and with it, officials say. is a serious risk of more landslides. Caroline Hawley, BBC News.
getfile: Floods in in JapanZIP: Video and PDF, 92 mb
- Top Page
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- Japan and the Summit
- Plastic in Japan
- This Week in History: March 21-26
- This Week in History: March 28 - April 2
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- Typhoon Jebi