Love doesn't just sit there, like a stone, it has to be made, like bread; remade all the time, made new.
Ursla Le Guin (1929-2018)
The Left Hand of Darkness, 1969
Robots in Japan
19 March 2019
Here is a short clip from Asian Business Report focusing on Robots in Japan. The pack contains the two versions of the video (original speed and slowed to 85%) and a PDF featuring the transcript, the transcript with gaps, a crossword and wordlists).
Japan is known as the world leader in robotics but not only are they greeting guests at hotels or serving food at restaurants, they're also transforming the medical industry. As part of our Leading Cities series Mariko Oi visits a very special operating theatre.
Is this the future of surgery? The smart cyber operating theatre connects medical devices together and consolidates the information in real time, helping surgeons make critical decisions.
"This machine gathers all the important data together. And based on the information it collects. as the surgery progresses, if the surgeon is unsure of the risks involved with a course of action, artificial intelligence can provide options which assess the chances of complications as well as the impact on a patient's life expectancy."
Japan is already a world leader in robotics. The industry is currently worth five billion dollars. At the Shintome nursing home 16 different types of robotics from nursing aids to rehabilitation devices support the residents well-being and care. Paro, a baby seal inspired by animal therapy can respond to temperature, touch and sounds. It's been introduced in countries around the world.
"What kind of impact can you see on the residents?"
"Playing with Paro and Aibo makes them feel calmer."
Residents seem happy to interact with Pepper a humanoid robot able to recognise some emotion. As the country faces an aging population there's a shortage of careworkers. It's hoped over time that robotics can help fill the deficit. Mariko Oi, BBC News, Tokyo.
getfile: Robots in JapanZIP: Videos and PDF, 99.93 mb
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Be A Monster!
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Dice Stack
- Fast Food Tag
- Find My Number
- Find The Penny
- The Happy Game
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Passport Control
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- What Cards
- Which One?
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Wake Up
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- This Week In History
- This Week in History: March 21-26
- This Week in History: March 28 - April 2
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4