Many Japanese speak English. But they do not think our thoughts. They worship at other shrines; profess another creed; observe a different code. They can no more be moved by Christian pacifism than wolves by the bleating of sheep. We have to deal with a people whose values are in many respects altogether different from our own.
Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
The Mission of Japan, 1937
Introduction: Typically quizzes are competitive but it doesn't need to be that way - it all depends upon the game structure used. In a co-operative quiz players work together to achieve some objective. The objective can influence the game rules. Here is an example.
This whiteboard game was created for a class focusing on British culture. As created the objective is to help the fox escape
Set Up: Place the hunters at the extreme left of the board, the fox somewhere in the middle and some of the obstacles anywhere. The more obstacles in front of the fox and the further from the cave the more difficult the win.
Procedure: Divide the players into four teams. Ask a yes/no question. Each team decides on an answer. If necessary record the choices of each team on the board (one way is to make a table with three columns, one for the team name, one for yes, and one for no and then place magnets in the yes/no columns according to the answers given by the teams).
After all teams have chosen reveal the answer. The fox moves one card length for every correct answer and the hunters one card length for every mistake. The fox needs 2 movement points to clear a hedge, 3 to clear a fence and 4 to clear a wall - i.e. one more than the value of the obstacle. If the fox doesn't have enough points left it must stop that turn. If it has spare movement points it may continue. The hunters can always clear an obstacle but that always ends their movement for the turn.
Winning: The players claim victory if the fox can reach the cave. If the fox is caught they loose.
Variation: Rather than asking yes/no questions ask any question and teams write down their answers and then reveal them at the same time.
getfiles: Cooperative Quiz - Fox HuntFox Hunt PDF File A4, 2 pages, 1.65 mb
- Top Page
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- Japan and the Summit
- Plastic in Japan
- This Week in History: March 21-26
- This Week in History: March 28 - April 2
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4
- Typhoon Jebi