All human beings should try to learn before they die what they are running from, and to, and why.
James Thurber (1894-1961)
Headscarves and Human Rights
This is a short clip from BBC World News about Indian Chess Champion, Soumya Swaminathan, who pulled out of a tournament in Iran because of a rule forcing her to wear a headscarf. Under Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Right such a requirement is an infringement on her right of self expression...
"I don't want to be forced to wear a hijab. Or any kind of enforceable cultural or religious dress codes. It's a very basic demand. It 's not too much to expect."
Soumya Swaminathan is an Indian chess champion. She has pulled out of an international chess competition in Iran over the country's mandatory headscarf rule. Soumya says the requirement is in violation of her right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion.
"I should protect my own personal human rights. I felt this was the only way to do that. So I refused to play."
Soumya wants international federations to take into account the players' rights when choosing venues for major international championships.
"Why should there be a religious dress code in sport? I understand some kind of reasonable restrictions in a place of worship. But there is no such place for things in sport."
The Asian Chess Federation has declined to comment.
"This is probably a good way to start a conversation about it. And for people to actually take action. Because if no one notices, no one speaks about it. Then people are not held answerable and nothing changes."
The pack contains the video in HD format together with a PDF featuring a crossword, the transcript, the transcript with gaps, a word list and a list of definitions. How to use the pack largely depends upon individual classes. Does a class need to go through any of the vocabulary first or will they be able to work out the meaning from the context?
One method to introduce the topic is to ask the students if there is any dress code at their school or place of work. How strictly is the code observed? Then ask if anyone knows what a hijab is and after that is revealed ask if anyone knows where hijabs are usually worn and by whom. Then show the video. The main point to draw out is Soumya Swaminathan's demand that International Federations take into account human rights when deciding on the venues for International competitions.
Rather than using the worksheets all in one go it's best to space their use out over several weeks with gaps in between. This way the vocabulary is more likely to stick in the memory.
getfile: Headscarves and Human RightsZIP: Video and PDF, 25.46 mb
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Be A Monster!
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Dice Stack
- Fast Food Tag
- Find My Number
- Find The Penny
- The Happy Game
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Passport Control
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- What Cards
- Which One?
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Wake Up
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- This Week In History
- This Week in History: March 21-26
- This Week in History: March 28 - April 2
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4